Richmond Trip - April 2014
For 2014, the Round Table's big trip was Richmond, with a focus on
1862. Among other places, we visited the Museum of the
Confederacy, the White House of the Confederacy, Capitol Square, St.
Paul's, Tredegar, Chimborazo, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
Our tour of the battlefields of the Seven Days Campaign was led
by Robert E L Krick, the Younger.
Awakening in the early, pre-dawn hours, we assembled at Rice Field, which immediately adjacent to an actual airport.
The White House of the Confederacy is being surrounded by much taller buildings.
At the foot of the statue commemorating George Washington and the great
Virginians of the Revolution, Jefferson Davis was inaugurated as
regularly elected President of the Confederate States of America
Sam Craghead was our guide. The state Capitol, designed by
Jefferson, was used as capital of the Confederacy. Jefferson
Davis used the Customs House across from the Capitol as an office, but
he rarely visited there. The great fire of 1865 burned the
Customs House, but the Capitol was saved.
In April 1865, Lee received bad news from Petersburg while
attending St Paul's. Lee informed Jefferson Davis that Richmond
must be evacuated.
Only Jewish Military Cemetery Outside of Israel
Waite Rawls spoke to us about Richmond in 1862, and brought the
plaque that we gave him for a previous event. He explained at
after the wounding of Joe Johnston, Beauregard was not selected to
replace him because he was 'too Beauregard'. A.S. Johnston was
not selected because he was 'too dead'.
"Come on down!" Rosemary wins a book.
Our Seven Days Campaign tour with Robert Krick the Younger began with the Dabbs House - Lee's headquarters.
Ellerson's Mill - Mr. Krick explained that the creek is now larger due to development upstream.
At Gaines's Mill, we visited the site of the breakthrough by Hood's Brigade.
On the way to Malvern Hill, we say several sites from the bus.
At Malvern Hill, Mr Krick explained that the artillery there, both in
1862 and now, were spaced 17 yards apart, so there were fewer guns
deployed than is sometimes represented. The Confederate attack
was mistakenly launched when some troops cheered, which was the
pre-arranged signal to attack.
That evening, we heard about Drewry's Bluff.
Sunday morning began with a visit to Tredegar.
The cannon foundry is a new museum, which the Museum of the Confederacy plans to partner with in the future.
A walk over Brown's Island gives great views of the James River.
The Tredegar complex was made possible by water power at the fall
Clive put on another great trip, and JB was again showed off his amazing driving skills.
All photos are copyright 2014 by John Hamill